Friday, January 1, 2010

About the Artist


My interest in blacksmithing began in 1992, when I inherited the tools from my father's forge. Soon, I had set up my own forge and studio to study and learn traditional forging techniques.

In 2002, I founded Emerald City Forge in Massachusetts to pursue my love of blacksmithing full time. 

In 2005, we moved to a larger modern shop and studio in the northwoods of Wisconsin and changed the name to Island City Forge.

I rely on my experience as an engineer, an artist, a lighting designer and remodeling contractor to address the structural safety and durability requirements, as well as the aesthetics of the metalwork.


Island City Forge provides high quality architectural and sculptural metalwork to the modern, discriminating client.  With time-honored craftsmanship, I create architectural metalwork and sculpture that is bold, lyrical and inventive. 

My work is inspired by nature's beauty, by spiritual intuition and by the transformative nature of the forging process itself.  This inspiration, blended with the client's visions, results in unique expressions in metalwork.

One of our strengths is in working collaboratively with clients and their designers: architects, interior designers and builders.  A collaborative approach respects the high standard each individual brings to a project and assures an overall unified design.





2 comments:

  1. Rick plays a mean bass too

    ReplyDelete
  2. What, if any advice would you have for someone looking to seriously get into Smithing?

    ReplyDelete